A complete reference list
Or: why Alden’s bid to buy Gannett is a very bad idea
After news broke that Digital First Media (also known as MediaNews Group and MNG Enterprises) is attempting a takeover of Gannett newspapers, we thought it would be useful to put together this compendium of our reporting on DFM and its owner, the vulture hedge fund Alden Global Capital.
What is Alden Global Capital?
- Alden Global Capital 101
- Hedge funds and newspapers, a simple primer
- Working under a hedge fund: how billionaires made the crisis at America’s newspapers even worse
- Tough bargaining: An insider’s view of hedge funds and the news business
- Layoffs, buyouts across DFM newspaper chain follow hedge fund’s profit-extraction strategy
- Hedge fund Alden attempts takeover of Gannett newspaper chain
- Hedge fund Alden siphoned 100s of millions from newspapers in scheme to gamble on other investments, suit says
- In court filing, Hedge fund Alden admits diverting hundreds of millions from newspaper chain
- Leaked financial report shows jaw-dropping profits for ‘outlaw’ newspaper owner
- Newspaper chain DFM invests millions of pension dollars with its hedge-fund owner
- Who Profits From Alden Global Capital? You’d be surprised.
- NEW STUDY: Digital First Media leads in profits; news deserts expanding
Who is Randall Smith?
Who is Heath Freeman?
Alden/DFM real estate deals
- Mixing business and pleasure: newspaper asset sales mingled with home buying spree
- Alden Global’s friends in high places
Questionable overseas investments
- Untangling the web of Alden’s dubious deals
- Another form of misery: Alden’s slumlord investment in Mexico
- Island hopping with Alden Global Capital
Shoestores, pharmacies and more: Alden doesn’t just buy newspapers
- From newspapers to big coal: Alden’s questionable investments continue
- How newspapers — and communities — pay for bad hedge fund bets
- Is Alden Global Capital on shaky financial ground?
The Denver Rebellion
- Denver Post newsroom slashed by 1/3 as hedge fund continues eviscerating Digital First Media papers
- VIDEO: Watch what hedge fund Alden Global Capital has done to the Pulitzer-Prize winning Denver Post newsroom
- The Revolution in Denver
- Alden Global’s Desperate Crackdown
- Showtime in Denver: an annotated transcript
What’s it like to work at a DFM paper?
- The price of a Pulitzer
- Anatomy of a downsize
- The purpose of a newspaper in the hedge fund era
- Silence and the city: Oakland Tribune shuts down
- Keeping democracy alive in a rust belt town
- More awards, more layoffs
- THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING HEDGE FUND
- Despite severe cuts, DFM reporters go above and beyond to cover California’s worst wildfire in history
Saving local news
- Bringing back local ownership of the news
- EVERYTHING BUT THE NEWS
- Pioneer Press employees put out call for local owners
Check out our entire list of stories: